by Amy Meinecke
Nothing draws the eye in a room like large, beautifully dressed windows. But what if your windows are lacking- or, they simply don’t live up to the proportions of the room? No need to worry! We have some super easy hacks on how to make your windows look bigger!
Try These Simple Tricks
Making windows look bigger often comes down to creating a trick of the eye. With the right fabric, rods, or even furniture arrangements, you can create an impact without investing in a renovation. Try these seven tips for big results:
- Re-Hang your curtain rod, cornice board, or lambrequin. Instead of hanging it just over the window, move it up and out. Interior designers have varying opinions on just how far to go, but most agree that four to eight inches in either direction can create the right illusion without looking out of place. For a more dramatic look, feel free to push the limit.
- Invest in longer, wider curtains or sheers. With your hardware extended, you’ll likely need bigger curtains to cover the added real estate-ensuring the window covering extends all the way to the floor without draping, and reaches the edges of the new width boundaries. Your new dimensions may create unconventional sizing requirements. So, choosing custom window treatments will allow you the advantage of having curtains made to your exact specifications.
- Consider a new for color your window coverings. Light colors, in general, can make both your windows and room look larger. To really create a visual perception of more space, consider window coverings that match the color of the walls-as long as it’s not a dark color. A dark shade will make the entire space look smaller.
- Choose patterns that emphasize direction. If you want to add a perception of height to your windows, go with a window covering that has a vertical pattern. If it’s width you want to accentuate, go with a horizontal pattern.
- Don’t skimp on fabric. Flimsy sheers and drapes can draw attention to the extra space you’ve created between the window and the curtain rod, cornice board or lambrequin. Go with a thick, sturdy fabric for a professional look that draws attention toward the curtains and away from the optical illusion you’ve created.
- Reorganize your room. Don’t crowd your windows with furniture-ensure there’s plenty of room for the curtains to hang properly without furnishing against or directly in front of them. Framing the outer edges of your new window area with side tables or arm chairs can also visually extend the width of the windows. One of our favorite tricks is to hang a large mirror on the wall across from the window. This lets more light into the room, giving the illusion that the windows are bigger.
- Go fabulous. No one will notice the size of your windows if you have beautiful, high-quality window coverings they can’t take their eyes off of! Window Works Studio can help with that. We create custom window coverings that complement your particular space and design aesthetic, while adding a Wow! factor.
Want More Advice on How to Make Your Windows Look Bigger?
For over 11 years, we’ve worked with homeowners, interior designers, and design consultants to create breathtaking window coverings in any space. We have the experience, instincts, and resources to achieve any effect you’re looking for. And, once your new window coverings are ready, we can install them to your exact specifications.
Want to make your small windows look bigger?
Let us help you transform your space!
Call (336)854-6085 today for your free consultation.