by Amy Meinecke
If you can dream it, you can do it.
In the world of home design, this is more than just a mantra — it’s a ticket to a world of possibilities.
In the world of window coverings, such creative thinking leads to some unique shapes, styles, and types of windows, which need to be draped with similar creative panache.
The good news is that when you work with customization experts like those of us here at Window Works Studio, we’ve seen — and created — it all.
From shutters to skylights — from arches to french doors — we can fabricate or find you window treatment solutions for anything your mind — and home builder — can throw at us.
We’ve combed the archives to find some of the most creative custom coverings, and wanted to share some design ideas that could inspire some unique thinking for your unique window shapes and styles.
- Bay Windows: These three-dimensional windows feature a projection that goes beyond your exterior wall – creating the possibility of a nook or alcove surrounded by glass on three sides. Coverings work best here — anything from one-inch blinds, cellular shades, and pleated shades will achieve the desired results.
- Bowed Windows: Similar to bay windows, these create a pleasing curve that offers a wide view of the outside. Custom hardware provides the ability to hang the draperies from a curved rod making the drapes simple to open and close.
- Casement Windows: Because these swing inside or outside — much like doors — and use a crank to open, there may not be much mounting space. Again, outside mounting products — particularly those with a high rise — will likely do the trick.
- Triangles, Circles, and Curves: For those accent windows that reach the highest peaks, we recommend inoperable cellular shades, perhaps using a soft fabric to allow light to come in without being blasted with direct sunlight. For lower windows, you can even use plantation shutters to provide the appropriate amount of privacy.
- Sidelights: We see a lot of these in the South — small panes of glass that allow light in astride doorways. To make your grand entrance even grander — and also to protect your entire home from being on display 24/7, consider mini-blinds, shutters, cellular shades, or even roman shades.
At Window Works Studio, we can turn your decorating dreams into reality. For residents of Greensboro, High Point, Winston-Salem, and the entire Piedmont Triad call upon Window Works Studio to create and design your home dreamscapes Window Works Studio also is an authorized Hunter Douglas dealer. Visit our Hunter Douglas site to begin your search for the best blinds or contact our team today to get started.